It's Monday. Go team. Go team go. Welcome to the 3rd installment of Dinner and a Movie Monday.
This week's selections:
Movie: I lied, you're not getting a movie. We're going to talk Olympics instead!
Dinner: White Chicken Chili
And because I lied to you about the movie...
Appetizer: Cowboy Caviar
The Olympics are here...I'm sleep-deprived and obsessed. I like the Olympics because I am so incredibly un-athletic (although according to this Buzzfeed quiz, my true calling is to be an athlete, personal trainer, or life coach....I am skeptical of the credibility of this quiz!), and I enjoy watching such graceful and talented athletes (I, on the other-hand, frequently fall up stairs and run into walls...Spatial Awareness: 1, Em: 0). I'm also a teeny tiny bit competitive, so the nature of the games appeal to me. I have spent the last several days yelling at my television, hiding under the blanket from nervousness (mostly that crazy ass alpine skiing...dear lord. I would most certainly die), and shouts of "Son of a" or "Yippee" (depending on what's happening). We're not even a week in - think good thoughts for my blood pressure.
I watched the Olympics growing up, but it's only been in the past 8 years or so that I've become an avid fan. I love parts of both summer and winter events, but I think the winter games are my favorite. I'm completely and utterly obsessed with snowboarding (particularly the men's slope style), and I like the luge, speed skating, ice skating, and moguls (even though it makes my body ache just by watching). I'm also beyond excited for the hockey finals. During the 2006 Olympics finals, I was spending the weekend with my sister and brother-in-law. We watched the Sweden vs. Finland games, and it was one of the most fascinating hockey games I have ever seen.
I can tell I'm sleep-deprived as the majority of this post has been what it's like inside my head - scary and random. Sorry I'm not sorry.
Let's eat! It's sort of a Mexican(ish) theme tonight. I think if I HAD to choose one kind of food to eat for the rest of my days, it would be Mexican (although, I'd really strive to finagle cookies in the deal somehow too). I love the big, bold flavors, and I loooooooooove tequila. And chips and salsa. It's really just all good.
White Chicken Chili:
1 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
1 cup water
2 cups diced cooked chicken
2 (15.5 oz) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies, not drained
1/2 tsp oregano leaves
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup sour cream
Chopped fresh cilantro
In a 4 quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in soup, broth, and water. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until smooth and well blended. Stir in chicken, beans, chilies, oregano, and cumin. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. cook uncovered 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated. Top each serving with sour cream and cilantro.
Cowboy Caviar:
1 (15 oz) can corn
1 can black beans
2 avocados (cubed)
2/3 cup chopped cilantro
8 green onion stalks, sliced
6 roma tomatoes
Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves mined garlic
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
Mix first 6 ingredients together. Combine dressing ingredients and pour over corn mixture. Serve with tortilla chips.
Happy Olympics, everybody :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7Vu7cqB20
.png)

Yum! I become more obsessed with olympics the older I get. When I was younger I only wanted to watch skating, but all of the winter sports are worthy of at least being on in the background, if not getting my full, lounge on the couch attention.
ReplyDelete