Monday, November 24, 2014

Free Falling

It's almost Thanksgiving (and a short work week - yippee!). I'll be headed to Shakopee for the turkey day celebration, and my darling sister renewed my excitement with the promise of pumpkin cupcakes, apple pie, and green bean casserole. I mean, I'm excited to see my family as well...but the way to my heart is very clearly through my stomach. 

It's been quite a month. November is currently winning (but I'm fighting back). I wasn't done with fall, guys. Or daylight. I really shouldn't complain - we certainly didn't get 7 feet of snow (so sorry, Buffalo), but it's cold and dark. And after last winter, I'm just not ready yet. 

So, I'm digging deep. 

When I got home one night last week, instead of turning on the TV, I picked up my guitar. I got a new guitar this summer after a [very sad] 5 year period without one. I went online, picked some songs I wanted to try, and gave it my all. It was rough, it was painful, and it was incredibly cathartic. Because sometimes I just need to sing "Free Falling" at the top of my lungs and life gets a whole lot better. Obviously.

A couple weeks ago, I turned the 80's music station on and had an epic solo living room dance party. It was a good 2 hours of dancing, singing, and jumping. It was pure joy.

At the start of the month, I was doing laundry and decided to play piano while waiting for the load to finish up. I don't play as often as I'd like, so I always have this small panic attack that I'm not going to remember how to read notes. I sat down at the piano, took a breath, and started to play. I didn't suck, but I also was not even remotely impressive. It didn't matter. I was making music and I was happy.

So on this chilly November night, I remember how thankful I am for the gift and joy of music. And cupcakes. :)



Em's 'I've-Got-Your-Number-November' Playlist

Fireflies - JJ Grey and Mofro

Tennessee Waltz - Sam Cooke

NPR Tiny Desk Series - Hozier

Watch Me Walk - Keri Noble

Bad Medicine - Bon Jovi

Green, Green Rocky Road - Oscar Isaac

The Chain - Ingrid Michaelson

Anything Goes - Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga

Riptide - Vance Joy

New York - The Milk Carton Kids

Come On Come Out - A Fine Frenzy

Careless Love - Ray Charles

Movie Loves a Screen - April Smith

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Busby Marou

3 comments:

  1. She is a darling sister, isn't she!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a new playlist, might have to steal some of your songs for inspiration for mine!

    ReplyDelete