![]() |
| Photo Booth |
A couple weekends ago, my pal Laura and I decided to brave the 2015 Cultivate Festival, which was sponsored by Chipotle. It was a free event in Minneapolis' Loring Park that featured specialty food and drink, multiple bands, chef demos (including Richard Blais from Top Chef and Gavin Kaysen from the North Loop's Spoon and Stable), giveaways, and probably a bunch of other stuff I didn't see. While we almost turned around and went home when we saw the thousands of people heading in the same direction as us, I'm glad we soldiered on. We were there early enough to get delicious food without standing in long lines, see a couple of great bands while sitting on a lovely non-crowded patch of grass, and peek in on a couple of chef demos. We made it 4 hours, but at that point, the crowds had multiplied and I hit my wall. I looked at Laura and saw my "I'm over it" eyes reflected in hers, so we headed for the exit. Laura would likely insert here that I sprinted for the exit. Semantics.
I would definitely go to this event again. Now that I know what to expect, I would show up even earlier than we did this year - that's the key. The weather was a bit suspect, and the band I desperately wanted to see (Walk the Moon) actually ended up getting canceled due to storms. But anytime I can eat some tacos, listen to some free music, and have a pie tart, it's time well spent.
![]() |
| Chef's demo tent |
![]() |
| Enjoying our food while watching Hippo Campus |
![]() |
| Watching Anderson East |
The Movie/TV Scene:
I have not been very diligent with my Netflix watching this summer (because outside all of the time...as it should be!). It rained a couple weekends ago, so I took the opportunity to do a little Netflix catch-up. A couple winners were viewed.
Pride (2014):
Based on a true story, this movie chronicles the 1984 miner's strike in England. It was a beautiful and inspiring movie. Plus, Bill Nighy is in it and he's the best.
Based on a true story, this movie chronicles the 1984 miner's strike in England. It was a beautiful and inspiring movie. Plus, Bill Nighy is in it and he's the best.
My favorite scene. I rewound (I know, not a VHS, but you know what I mean) at least 4 times.
Dancing on the Edge (2013)
I was hooked line and sinker by the BBC miniseries, Dancing on the Edge. I loved this show. Jazz music? Check. Murder and intrigue? Check. Fabulous British actors? Check. I want there to be another season.
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (2012 - Present)
My parents introduced me to this little gem last summer. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is an Australian TV show, which features the amazing Essie Davis as sassy detective, Phryne Fisher. I'm waiting (not at all patiently) for the arrival of Season 3.
Dancing on the Edge (2013)
I was hooked line and sinker by the BBC miniseries, Dancing on the Edge. I loved this show. Jazz music? Check. Murder and intrigue? Check. Fabulous British actors? Check. I want there to be another season.
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (2012 - Present)
My parents introduced me to this little gem last summer. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is an Australian TV show, which features the amazing Essie Davis as sassy detective, Phryne Fisher. I'm waiting (not at all patiently) for the arrival of Season 3.
The Music Scene:
I have a stellar lineup of concerts coming up this fall.
Actual Wolf/Fathom Lane/Farewell Milwaukee concert at the New Century Theater on September 18.
Why I'm excited: Actual Wolf is the stage name for Eric Pollard, a Grand Rapids native, who also graduated with my sister. My friend Katie and I are heading down to show some hometown pride, and with it, we also get to check out two other great bands.
Palamino Festival at Cantebury Downs on September 19.
Why I'm excited: Beyond excited for this one - my very first Trampled by Turtles concert. This is another example of hometown pride. TBT's bass player, Tim, is also a GR native and, coincidentally, also graduated with my sister (GR class of 1998 was super talented, yo).
The Lone Bellow at The Varsity Theater on October 20.
Why I'm excited: This is one of the bands I saw at the Cabooze earlier this summer. I LOVE them and look forward to watching them headline this show. Opening for The Lone Bellow is Anderson East, which I just heard for the first time at the Cultivate Festival. I greatly enjoyed the performance and look forward to hearing more.
Elephant Revival at The Turf Club on November 7.
Why I'm excited: I saw this band at the Cabooze about 4 years ago and was blown away. I look forward to hearing them perform their new album and watching them in this venue.
And finally, calling all jazz lovers. Four of my delightful GR friends are playing gypsy jazz/bluegrass on the reg in the metro. If you're looking for some serious jazz talent, check out Mississipi Hot Club!




Oh Em, the fun you have!
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous that you get to see Actual Wolf! If you see EP in person, give him a head nod for me! ;-)
ReplyDeleteThis Cultivate Festival sounds like my kind of thing...minus all the people of course ;) Anna
ReplyDelete