Sunday, March 6, 2016

New York, New York

Don't let the height difference fool you -
we really are related
I began writing this post a month ago and then I started a project manager role at work. While it's been a fantastic and exciting transition, the rest of my world sort of went by the wayside the past few weeks. However, after a 3 hour coffee date with my dear friend Kristen today, life is a little more in focus and far less overwhelming. Thank goodness for the friends who respond to your needy texts and help you "check your levels."

At the beginning of February, I hopped a plane to New York to see my cousin Parker, my friend Claire, and a couple other dear friends from MN who now live on the East Coast. Trip highlights:

  • Delicious pizza in Brooklyn with Parker and Maggie the first night of the trip
  • Eating the best breakfast sandwich of my life at a little restaurant in Parker's neighborhood. Why so good? Butter, friends. All the butter
  • Meeting up with Claire in the city on Friday afternoon, checking into our hotel, and discovering we had...wait for it...twin beds. Hello summer camp flashbacks :)
  • Friday night with Claire, Marty, Sophie and Parker - wine bar, Korean BBQ, and catch-up with old friends
  • Exploring the city with Claire on Saturday afternoon
  • Seeing Wicked on Broadway with Claire and Parker
  • Performing my jazz hands routine while walking down Broadway (nailed it)
  • Sunday brunch in Brooklyn with Claire, Sophie and Parker
  • My first pedicure!
  • Parker and I rolling through Brooklyn while blasting the Wicked soundtrack and interpretive dancing/power ballad singing our hearts out (we're SO related)
  • Buying/eating cookies from Levain Bakery - best. cookies. of. my. life. 
So as you can see, my trip basically consisted of eating my way through New York. #noregrets

Friday night fun!
Bryant Park
View of the city from Parker's rooftop
Beautiful blue skies in NYC
Claire and I walking through Times Square

I must go further in-depth on our Wicked experience. I saw the show in Chicago when I was in college, but Parker and Claire had never been. It's one of my favorites and I was excited for the opportunity to see it on Broadway. I hadn't done any research of the cast ahead of time, but Rachel Tucker, the woman who played Elphaba, absolutely blew my mind. By the end of her first solo number, I had goosebumps and was in tears. It was just so good. I had one of those "completely sucked into the moment" experiences and left the show on a cloud. Claire and Parker left the show happy but tired, so my need to jazz hands and be surrounded by "my people" on Broadway was a little much for them. In one of the best moments of the weekend, Parker hugged me and said, "I have to leave. You're exhausting me." Weirdly enough, that was not the first time I've had that reaction. 

I was able to find this Defying Gravity clip from the show we actually attended. It's certainly not the same as seeing it in person, but it gives you a glimpse into the wonder and majesty that is Rachel Tucker. Enjoy!



Bonus material. Now I'm able to check this off my bucket list! :)


2 comments:

  1. Good to know its not just me that cries when I'm at a broadway play! Glad you had a great trip and are adjusting into the new job position!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed your New York experience! I knew you would love it:) No one could do jazz hands better then you on Broadway that's for sure. Can't wait to see you, Muah!

    ReplyDelete