Mr. Stubbs appointed me as choir manager for my junior and senior years. That was the best gift I've ever been given. I learned how to plan, organize, stay cool under pressure, and think outside the box; I learned how to be assertive, yet patient; I learned that the little things often matter more than the big things; I learned how to be proactive instead of reactive; I learned to be successful, you have to first earn trust; I learned that with great power (okay, so it wasn't THAT great, but it felt significant at the time) comes great responsibility; and I learned that being part of a group that loves something just as passionately as you do, is one of the most rewarding things in life.
My love for choral music has stayed with me throughout my life. There is something so potent, rich, and spine-tingling about voices being woven together in harmony. Even though I'm not part of an organized group anymore, I still take in choral festivals, watch performances on youtube, and singing in entrenched in my everyday life (much to the annoyance of everyone around me, I'm sure!). I really can't (and won't) keep from singing.
Here are a few of my favorite choral pieces. Most of them I sang in choir, but there are a couple that were just too fabulous not to share.

Oh, Emmy. You speak to my soul with this one.
ReplyDeleteI felt like this about Swing Choir. So fun!
ReplyDelete