My first experience with Ella came from a CD I borrowed from the public library when I was in my early teens. By the end of the first song, I was hooked. There is something so magical and beautiful about her voice - she just speaks to me. Listening to Ella sparked my lifelong love of jazz. I borrowed every jazz CD I could get my hands on, I played piano for the jazz band and jazz choir in high school, and I played in a multiple jazz combos and took jazz history in college. I was lucky enough to have an incredible musician as a professor, and I started taking improvisation lessons with him my freshmen year of college. At the end of my senior year, I performed a jazz piano recital, not for any class or requirement, but because it was the one thing I was most passionate about and proud of from my time at Augsburg.
"Lady Ella" is a true gem in the history of jazz music. She had an incredible vocal range that spanned three (!) octaves, she could croon out a smooth ballad, and her scat singing is legendary. If that's not versatility, I don't know what is! Not only was Ella an amazing singer and performer, she was one classy lady. Ella is someone I admire greatly, and I wish could have a) seen her perform and b) had lunch with her. I like to think we would have been kindred spirits :)
Here are a few of my favorite Ella songs. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of her music as I do!
"Lady Ella" is a true gem in the history of jazz music. She had an incredible vocal range that spanned three (!) octaves, she could croon out a smooth ballad, and her scat singing is legendary. If that's not versatility, I don't know what is! Not only was Ella an amazing singer and performer, she was one classy lady. Ella is someone I admire greatly, and I wish could have a) seen her perform and b) had lunch with her. I like to think we would have been kindred spirits :)
Here are a few of my favorite Ella songs. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of her music as I do!
Blue Skies was one of my Grandpa Johnson's favorite songs. And Ella sings it so perfectly.
Stunning
Love!
A classic
Ella & Louis = pure happiness
Not the best video quality, but the scatting is simply incredible

Hard to beat Ella - loved the scat with Mel.
ReplyDeleteDKJ