Sunday, June 15, 2014

Get It? Got it. Good!

I was lucky enough to see my dad today for Father's Day. He and mom stopped by the house on the way to Sara's to meet their new little grandson (welcome baby Declan - we are SO glad you are here!). As usual, I had projects for him to do. He changed my shower head (in my defense, I did know how to do it, but I couldn't get the old one off) and drilled holes in the bottom of my flower boxes since the poor flowers have been drowning in all the rain. He patiently explained to me (for the 12th time) how to work the drill and even made me practice. I'm 28 years old and I clearly still need my dad. I don't think either he or I would have it any other way.

My dad and I have many shared interests. I always loved movies, but in my younger years, I didn't like to stray from what I knew. Dad tried to give me a movie education and I fought him on it (shocking, I know). So to get around my stubbornness, he created a tradition that lasted through my high school years. Every morning before school and work, we would wake up early, get ready, and then watch 30-45 minutes of a movie while eating breakfast. We would take turns picking out movies and had to go along with the other's choice. We explored movies from a variety of genres, had marathons of movies with our favorite actors (Fred MacMurray, Jimmy Stewart, Dean Jones, and Shirley Temple), and my love of film bloomed. I was exposed to many movies that have become near and dear to my heart, but more than that, I had time every single day with my dad. And that is something I wouldn't trade for the world.


We also had an evening tradition. Mom usually made dinner, so dad and I were on dish duty. He washed, I dried, and I would tell him all about my day. It always started the same way - "I got to school this morning..." and would go on from there. He never made me feel like I was boring or dramatic (I totally was), and actively listened to what I had to say (he deserves a medal for that). 

I've learned a lot from my dad. He taught me to ride a bike, drive a car, balance a checkbook, and check my oil. He taught me how to fish, how to mow a lawn, and how to paddle a canoe. He taught me to play ping pong, throw a ball, and shoot pool (this one is still a work in progress). He taught me to appreciate good cookies, good rum, and the beauty of the outdoors. He is singly responsible for me passing all math classes (I may have got his sense of humor, but I did NOT inherit his math skills), inspired my entrepreneurial spirit, and he has always had my back.

So, to my dear Papa J, I say thank you. Thank you for for being my dad, thank you for loving me despite all my crazy, and thank you for being the kind, generous, loving man that you are.



Papa J and Em's Movie Recommendations:
Musicals:
1. High Society, 1956
2. Singin' in the Rain, 1952
3. The Court Jester, 1955
4. Three Little Words, 1950
5. The Blues Brothers, 1980

Disney:
1. Blackbeard's Ghost, 1968
2. North Avenue Irregulars, 1979
3. Follow Me, Boys!, 1966
4. The Apple Dumpling Gang, 1975
5. The Happiest Millionaire, 1967

Comedy:
1. Way Out West, 1937
2. Blazing Saddles, 1974 (or any Mel Brooks film - we are BIG fans)
3. Father Goose, 1964
4. American Graffiti, 1973
5. Casper, 1995

Drama:
1. Tammy and the Bachelor, 1957
2. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, 1939
3. North by Northwest, 1959
4. The Quiet Man, 1952
5. The Greatest Show on Earth, 1952

There are so many I'm missing, but this should give you a start. Happy Father's Day to all the amazing dads out there. 

XOXO,
Em

1 comment:

  1. You do have a pretty grand old Dad and I agree with every one of your movie choices! Love ya, M in Tucson

    ReplyDelete