While I don’t
spend much time IN my house during the summer, I have been a regular fixture on
the deck. I read very little last winter (I think my brain was too frozen to
process words), but I’m making up for it now!
My recommendations:
The Art of Racing in the Rain, Garth Stein
A friend at work loaned this one to me. I put off reading it for some unknown (and very stupid) reason, but once I started, I couldn’t put it down. Told from the perspective of a family’s loyal dog (real truth: I like animals, but I’m not necessarily an animal book person. However, if your only reservation for reading this book is you don’t like dogs, I’m going to need you to get over it and just read the book). It was a lovely, thought-provoking, creative book, and one that I immediately wanted to reread the second I finished it. HIGHLY recommend!
A friend at work loaned this one to me. I put off reading it for some unknown (and very stupid) reason, but once I started, I couldn’t put it down. Told from the perspective of a family’s loyal dog (real truth: I like animals, but I’m not necessarily an animal book person. However, if your only reservation for reading this book is you don’t like dogs, I’m going to need you to get over it and just read the book). It was a lovely, thought-provoking, creative book, and one that I immediately wanted to reread the second I finished it. HIGHLY recommend!
Wild, Cheryl Strayed
I had this one on my “to-read” list last year, but just got around to it. A memoir written by a woman who hiked 1,100 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail. Solo. I was so inspired by her bravery, her honesty, and her perseverance.
Where'd You Go, Bernadette?, Maria Semple
My friend Kristen brought this to one of our weekend coffee dates for me. I read the entire thing that very afternoon. The story is told through a compilation of letters, emails, etc. The characters are quirky and endearing, and the story is one you won't be able to resist.
The Object of Beauty, Steve Martin
Is there anything Steve Martin can't do? This book was a delightful lesson in art history, while still providing a compelling story set in the art world.
Vintage Affair, Isabel Wolff
This is a book about vintage clothes. I mean, do you really need more convincing?
Still left on my list:
1. Tigers in Red Weather, Liza Klaussmann
2. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, Mindy Kaling
3. Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand
4. The Paris Wife, Paula McLain
5. Maine, J. Courtney Sullivan
6. Once a Spy, Keith Thomson
7. The Master Butcher's Singing Club, Louise Erdrich
8. The Clover House, Henriette Lazaridis Power
9. The Patron Saint of Liars, Ann Patchett
10. The Last Days of Dogtown, Anita Diamant


Mindy's book is an easy read, my favorite part is her discussing her one act play (or whatever she called it) about Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. The Paris Wife is also fairly easy to read and a very interesting perspective even if it is "historical fiction". Unbroken is a tough read, but it helps knowing that everything eventually works out for him. I'm probably going to check out Steve Martin's book next!
ReplyDelete