Sunday, August 10, 2014

Hooked On A Feeling

We have established by now that I’m fairly eclectic in my tastes. So, it should surprise no one that in the past few months I have seen the following movies in the theater:

X-Men: Days of Future Past
Chef
22 Jump Street
Tammy
Guardians of the Galaxy
Step Up: All In

I am not entirely sure what these choices say about me. I’d like to think they make me seem really cool; I don’t think I’m probably getting that desired effect...

In case you’re as cool nerdy as I am, let me break these down for you.

X-Men: Days of Future Past
Verdict: Of all the X-Men movies (and let’s be real, there are quite a few of them now), this one would be placed in my top 3. I didn’t love it as much as loved X-Men: First Class, but it was quite good. I’m not going to lie – I think James McAvoy might be the reason I like those two particular X-Men movies so much. Whatevs. It’s cool.

Chef
Verdict: See this post for full recap. But two words: SEE IT!

22 Jump Street
Verdict: I know these movies are ridiculous, but I dig them. I thought the first one was pretty funny, but this one was better in my opinion. I went with my cousin Anna and her sister’s finance, and the 3 of us laughed hysterically the entire movie. That’s a win in my book.

Tammy
Verdict: Disappointing. I LOVE Melissa McCarthy. I knew this movie was going to have stupid humor (which I greatly enjoy), but it wasn't even that funny. I didn't have super high expectations going in, but I was bummed by how little I laughed. Also, FACT: Susan Sarandon is just too beautiful to be passed off as a frumpy old grandma.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Verdict: So nerdy and awesome. My favorite part may have been the music (pop hits of the 70’s and 80’s). Chris Pratt is one of my favorite funnymen, so that was icing on the cake. My only complaint was there were too many bad guys. I have a short memory/attention span, so multiple bad guys confuses me (and when they all have space names, it’s next to impossible to remember who’s who!). 

Step Up: All In
I am unapologetic in noting that I have seen Every.Single.One of the Step Up movies. The plots are completely awful. You just have to push past that and go 'all in' (see what I did there?) for the dance sequences, which are usually pretty fabulous. 



1 comment:

  1. Randy and I went to see "Guardians" and while I agree that the music was awesome I enjoyed the entirety of this movie. To be honest Randy had already gone over the comic book line with me being the avid comic booker that he is and so I was prepared for the amount of bad guys. Cried when Groote blew up and laughed when he was dancing in his pot. I'm still looking forward to seeing "Hercules" with the Rock. I've always been a sucker for Hercules, Sinbad and the rest of the Greeks and I love the Rock.
    Keep on posting Ms Em! From Tucson catch you on the flip! M

    ReplyDelete