 |
| The whole crew in all our Christmas Eve glory |
Happy New Year, kids. Sorry it's been so long - the last month was a hazy blur. I've been sick and zombie-esque, so finally caved and went to the clinic this week. Illness has been [mostly] confirmed as mono (doctor made educated guess, so I opted out of blood test to make diagnosis "official" as they can't treat it anyway). Not exactly the way I wanted to start a new year, but I have hope I'm on the upswing! AND, I feel less crazy knowing there was an actual reason for zombie state. I was starting to wonder if a padded room would be in my imminent future.
I barely managed to get a Christmas card out this year, so ended up nixing my usual letter to save time and energy (see zombie comments above). Turns out, I actually sort of missed the opportunity to look back on the year and have a time of reflection. If only I had a magical space where I could write my thoughts...[insert light bulb moment here]...
Dearest Readers -
2014 was decidedly less eventful than the past couple years. I didn't quit my job without a plan, have major surgery, or buy a house. Thank goodness! It was nice to have a year free from big, drastic life changes.
One of the best parts of 2014 was the birth of my nephew, Declan George Vanneste. He arrived on June 12th and I promptly fell head over heels in love with him. Dec is a sweet, smiley little guy, and all the dudes in the family were thrilled to add a new member to their ranks.
 |
| Sweet Declan |
Quinn turned two this year. I took her out for a big girl birthday date (to a restaurant...because the way to Q's heart is through her tummy) and we had a wonderful time. Q's favorite word is "yep" (girl of few words) and her smile and giggle melt my heart. She is incredibly smart, an amazing helper around the house and kitchen, and one of the most hilarious little people I've ever met.
 |
| Sassy Quinn |
Fiona is our big four-year-old KID. As you may remember, she and I had our second annual sleepover in September. Fiona constantly amazes me with her compassion, empathy, humor, curiosity, and loving spirit. Although she would rather twirl than just about anything, she sometimes takes a break to snuggle and read with her auntie.
 |
| Silly Fiona |
Last winter was fairly quiet. I spent most of my time yelling at my TV during the Sochi Olympics, yelling at my TV during hockey playoffs, cooking crock pot meals, and attempting to stay warm during the [many] polar vortexes we experienced. I did go on an epic road trip to northern MN with pals Gary and Emma in late February/early March. That trip alone provided enough fun to get me through the rest of winter.
 |
| Road Trippers |
 |
| Lovely winter sunset |
 |
| Reading with the babies |
 |
| Snowshoeing with Mom and Pops |
In April, I celebrated my first anniversary in my house, which continues to be one of the best things in my world. I am admittedly not the most adept homeowner, but I'm learning! I hosted my first family holiday (Easter brunch), which was a rousing success. I also turned 28 and had a fabulous week of birthday celebrations.
 |
| Birthday Shenanigans |
 |
| Celebrating with my favorites |
 |
| House Anniversary |
I basically spent the summer up north with sporadic work days sprinkled in there for kicks. Here were the highlights:
- Reconnecting with my cousins, Brad, Kara, and Parker. I hadn't seen them in almost 20 years, and they were able to visit MN over the Fourth of July (along with Parker's girlfriend, Rachel, who quickly became part of the family as well!). We had a wonderful visit, and I can hardly wait to see them all again!
- Cabin days
- Fishing and canoeing with Papa J
- Deck time
- Grilling
- Walks through the woods on beautiful summer evenings
- Tending my flowers
- Ten-year high school reunion
- Celebrating Grandma's 98th birthday
- Seeing all my Mama J's out of state siblings
- Fish frys
- Patio happy hours/Brunch Bunch
- Road trip to Iowa for my pal Tyrrell's bachelorette party
- Play dates with the babies
- Twins games, plays, and adventures in downtown Minneapolis
 |
| Tyrrell's Bachelorette Party |
 |
| Cousins! Parker, Angie, Kara, Rachel, and I |
 |
| Lake life |
 |
| Canoeing with Papa J |
 |
| Fourth of July with the Johnson clan |
 |
| My favorites |
 |
| Martin Family gathering for Grandma's 98th Birthday! |
 |
| The very best friends a girl could ask for! |
 |
| Reunion happiness |
 |
| TEP pals |
Fall was perfection. We had gorgeous weather, so I spent as much time outside as humanly possible. At the end of September, my best friend, Gary, moved in to my basement. It's been a blast! We've watched oodles of movies, brewed a few batches of beer, and he's a good sport about indulging my "roomie bonding" whims (i.e. pumpkin carving, tree decorating, etc.). I also "ran" (...walked...) a 5k with my friend Christine, celebrated Papa J's 65th birthday (we even got in a 70 degree October canoe paddle!), got to see the wee ones in their Halloween finery, had a lovely Thanksgiving, and attended my friend Tyrrell's wedding.
 |
| Roomies! |
 |
| Thanksgiving with the wee ones |
I had my two year anniversary at The Emily Program last November and am lucky enough to work with some pretty fabulous people. I never thought I'd enjoy working in a cube (and let's be real, I'd go back to an office with a door in a heartbeat), but I am thankful for the friendships that have bloomed from the trenches of cubeland!
Christmas was lovely and I was able to spend the week in Grand Rapids. Sara's family was up for most of week too, so I got my fill of snuggles, play time, and family bonding. I took Fiona and Quinn to my traditional Christmas Eve breakfast with my high school pals, and they thought that was pretty neat. I was also able to stay up long enough to celebrate Mama J's birthday!
And that's a wrap. Cheers to you all. May 2015 be filled with adventure, joy, and love.
XOXO,
Em
No comments:
Post a Comment