Monday, March 2, 2015

It's Alright

It's supposed to snow tomorrow, but once March hits, spring is on my brain. I looked at the extended forecast and it's supposed to hit 40's by the weekend and 50 by early next week. Yes. Please.

The last month has been busy, but delightful. Roomie and I headed to Duluth the first weekend in February for a reunion with some of our high school pals. It was the kind of weekend you hope to repeat on a regular basis (except maybe with a tad more sleep next time!). I'm incredibly thankful for such a glorious group of friends. And for Cards Against Humanity.

The next weekend, I headed north (again) for a weekend in Grand Rapids. On Friday night, Papa J and I had a father/daughter date and attended the opening night of Young Frankenstein, which was put on by the GR community theater group. Two of my dear friends were leads in the show, and it was a riot (because Mel Brooks is amazing. Obviously.). That Saturday, Mom, Sara, and I threw a baby shower for my cousin, Anna. We had a Dr. Seuss theme, complete with green eggs and ham and cat in the hat kebabs. A wonderful time was had by all. On Sunday, Declan was baptized and we hosted another party. Though it was a packed weekend, it was beyond lovely to have so much family time.

I also did some cooking in February. This was a BIG recipe win (thanks to my sister for bringing it to my attention). 

Turkey Quinoa Chili

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 1/2 cups water, divided
1 pound lean ground turkey (recipe called for 1/2 lb, but I used a full pound for extra protein)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1 Tbsp adobo sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan, bring quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Removed from heat; fluff with a fork and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, onion, red pepper, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon; cook 2 minutes longer.
3. Add the black beans, tomatoes, zucchini, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper, and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in corn and quinoa; heat through. Discard bay leaf. stir in cilantro.

3 of my 4 best dudes. 
Father/Daughter date night!
Dr. Seuss baby shower
Cousin love
Little Dude's baptism day - I bought him that outfit :)

Here's what I'm looking forward to:
  • DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME! Sunday, yo. Whoop whoop.
  • Another trip to GR in March - I get to watch my sister jump in a freezing lake for a really good cause. If you're interested in donating, click here.
  • April trip to NYC!
  • Minnesota in bloom.
I'll leave you with a little Curtis Mayfield & the Impressions. Because nothing is mellow and groovy like a little 60's soul action. You're welcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment