Thursday, February 5, 2015

Hello Friends, I'm Your Vitameatavegamin Girl

My 2015 Christmas card!
A couple weekends ago, I got to check an item off my bucket list. Sara and I went to "I Love Lucy, Live on Stage" at the State Theater in Minneapolis. This show was in Chicago a couple years ago, and when I saw it was coming to Minnesota, I lost my mind with joy. Sara, knowing I would be a freak of nature, graciously agreed to be my date and brave my weirdness. She ended up with her head stuck in a cardboard cutout (though I did let her be Ethel...or, she simply refused to be Fred). I think she may have regretted her decision!

The show had a brilliant concept. It depicted what it would have been like to be an audience member at an actual taping of I Love Lucy. It included "commercials" from the time period, a TV host to interact with the audience, an applause button, set changes, and the cast performed two back-to-back episodes. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, and real truth, there were some superfans in that audience who made me look downright normal! 

My best girl

The two episodes the cast performed were The Benefit (Season 1, Ep. 13) and Lucy Has Her Eyes Examined (Season 3, Ep. 11). Here are my favorite scenes from each episode.





Going to the show prompted me to think about what what episodes of I Love Lucy are most near and dear to my heart. It's a fairly long list! 

In order of air date:
  • Lucy Thinks Ricky Is Trying to Murder Her, Season 1, Ep. 4
  • Lucy Fakes Illness, Season 1, Ep. 16
  • The Ballet, Season 1, Ep. 19
  • The Operetta, Season 2, Ep. 5
  • Lucy's Last Birthday, Season 2, Ep. 25
  • The Camping Trip, Season 2, Ep. 29
  • Lucy Tells the Truth, Season 3, Ep. 6
  • Lucy is Envious, Season 3, Ep. 23
  • The Golf Game, Season 3, Ep. 30
  • Ethel's Hometown, Season 4, Ep. 16
  • In Palm Springs, Season 4, Ep. 26
  • Dancing Star, Season 4, Ep. 27
  • The Great Train Robbery, Season 5, Ep. 5
  • Staten Island Ferry, Season 5, Ep. 12
  • Lucy Meets the Queen, Season 5, Ep. 15
  • Lucy and Bob Hope, Season 6, Ep. 1
  • Off to Florida, Season 6, Ep. 6
  • Building a B-B-Q, Season 6, Ep. 24





  Bonus #1. Here are my favorite Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour episodes:
  • Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana, Season 1, Ep. 1
  • Lucy Hunts Uranium, Season 1, Ep. 3
  • Lucy Goes to Alaska, Season 2, Ep. 3
  • The Ricardos Go To Japan, Season 3, Ep. 2

Bonus #2. My favorite of the "classic" episodes:
  • Lucy Does a TV Commercial, Season 1, Ep. 30
  • The Freezer, Season 1, Ep. 29
  • Job Switching, Season 2, Ep. 1
  • Lucy is Enceinte, Season 2, Ep. 10
  • Lucy Goes to the Hospital, Season 2, Ep. 16
  • L.A. At Last, Season 4, Ep. 17
  • Harpo Marx, Season 4, Ep. 28
  • Lucy Visit Grauman's, Season 5, Ep. 1
  • Lucy and Superman, Season 6, Ep. 13
  • Lucy Does the Tango, Season 6, Ep. 20




What are your favorite episodes? 

2 comments:

  1. You fail to mention that one of those superfans was sitting right next to me! Agh! And thanks for the train clip - one of my favs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Palm Springs was my favorite, I am so bummed the show wasn't in town longer/i didn't hear about it beforehand. But so glad that you were able to get there!

    ReplyDelete