Monday, April 25, 2016

It's Going Down, I'm Yelling TIMBER!

My posse
I turned 30 a couple weeks ago. To commemorate the beginning of this new chapter, I decided to throw a northwoods-themed dance party to celebrate. Sound a tad extravagant? It totally was. But it was also one of the best nights of my life so extravagance be damned!

I had the idea for this party in my head but wasn't sure how to make it a reality. I was about to give up on the whole kit and caboodle (I'm 30 now so I can say shit like that and not care that everyone is laughing about how old I sound. I LOVE 30!!) when my friend Laura sent me a note about a space for rent in her Minneapolis neighborhood. I emailed the owner of the space the next day, set up time to check it out (BIG thanks to my friend Danielle for being my co-pilot on that mission), and booked the space by the end of the week. It could not have been more perfect for the party! Laura's boyfriend, Alex, agreed to DJ, my friend Kristen helped me pick the theme, Sara crafted an evite, and wallah, a party was born!

The Originals

Photo Booth Magic - Take 1

The day of the party arrived, my parents came to help me schlep a very full vehicle's worth of supplies over to Minneapolis, and I had a stellar setup crew who helped make my vision come to life. Kristen took care of decorations; Christine took care of food (she asked what I wanted and I very helpfully said, "Chips. And maybe some nuts?" and she rolled her eyes and furnished a fabulous smorgasbord of tasty treats); Sara, my mom, and the kids were on dessert duty and showed up with 5 (FIVE!) different varieties; Kristen's husband Eric and son Jack put up the epic photo booth they built; my dad did a booze and ice run; Tracey poured me a margarita; I wandered around aimlessly and did absolutely nothing of value other than dance around (with my marg) while Alex was testing his sound setup. Nailed it.

Photo Booth Magic - Take 2
Honestly, I didn't really know what to expect for the evening, but I hoped it would be as fun as I imagined. Any doubt I may have had vanished as so many amazing people showed up, wearing flannel, to dance with me and partake in a lumberjack photo booth. I wore a dress with a flannel shirt over it and shorts underneath it (sooooo classy), passed a bottle of fireball whiskey around the room several times, took a million pictures, danced and sang my heart out, attempted to have conversations only to run away in the middle because "I LOVE THIS SONG" (so sorry to everyone I did this to), and gave a rambling speech that I hope to God nobody videotaped. Fireball aside, words are hard, guys.

A BIG thank you to all who helped with the party and to all who came to help me ring in this new decade. 

To all my family and friends I say this:  I truly have the very best people in my world. I'm humbled and honored to walk through life surrounded by the most genuine, selfless, loyal, loving, beautiful humans. Thank you, dear ones, for always showing up, putting up with me despite my ridiculous tendencies and inability to get groceries, and for making my life full, rich and joyful. I could not love you more!

These 2 came all the way from New York!
The next generation of dancing queens
Pretty sure Spice Girls was playing - it would explain the sass 
A big thank you to Cousin Brad, who not only came in from TX,
but also took most of these gorgeous pictures
My dear friend, Katie, bringing the house down!
Basically the best birthday present ever -
these 3 smiling and looking at the camera
Family fun!
The second best birthday gift ever - because tequila

1 comment: