Thursday, June 2, 2016

Auntie and the Wee Ones

Making sandcastles at the lake!
Dear May - where'd you go?? Good gracious, 2016 is almost half over and I don't know how that happened. 

I have about 5 posts worth of material to write about from the last month and a half, but I got overwhelmed so thought I'd get a quick post done and ease myself back into the blogosphere. 

Being an aunt is pretty much my favorite thing in the world. I've spent a lot of time with the wee ones lately. Between a couple babysitting excursions to Shakopee and assorted family gathering weekends, we have had some good quality time together. The kids are at the best ages right now - they all have big personalities, great belly laughs (especially Fiona) and are so fun to have conversations with. Here are a couple examples:

Sara: Declan - do you love it when Auntie comes to visit?
D: Yeah
Sara: Is Auntie so much fun?
D: Yeah
Sara: Is Auntie's hair pretty or wild?
D: WILD!!!!!!!

**small aside on the same topic. I went for a walk tonight and a bird FLEW INTO THE BACK OF MY HEAD! It was completely traumatizing. I texted Sara for sympathy and she wrote back, "Mike said it was probably because the bird thought your hair was a nest." Humph. For the record, I like to think my hair is just like me - slightly ridiculous but also endearing. And not at all nest-like!

Auntie and Monster

Fiona: Auntie, what does complicated mean?
E: Well, it means things aren't simple. That something might be difficult.
Fiona: Auntie, Quinn is complicated!

Visiting Fiona in the hospital after her surgery

Q: Auntie, you are taking care of me and Declan today. 
E: I know, isn't that fun?! Are you excited, Quinn?
Q: *zero facial expression*
Q: *about face and walk away*

Croup-y Quinny was all smiles!

I'm mighty lucky to be Auntie to these 3 special little people. They make me so proud and fill me with such joy. They also make me really tired and glad to go home to my quiet house! But every second of the chaos and constant talking is 100% worth it :)

We were "helping" Grandma make lunch
Dressed in their Easter finery

2 comments:

  1. Love the conversations! You are indeed blessed, and so are they…not everyone gets to have an Auntie with hair filled with personality! *I know the feeling;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be fair, I totally texted back with sympathy first. Then snarky comments!

    And I just don't know why you think we are loud and chaotic. Just think of us as white noise!

    ReplyDelete