Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Dancing Queen

When I hear music, it's only a matter of time before the dancing begins. It's almost a problem (in the best possible way). I like to tell people when they start looking at me strangely (which they inevitably do) that I just can't stop the beat. One item on my bucket list is to be on the first season of "Dancing with the Real People" (I feel like this would be a hit. C'mon big shot Hollywood producer, get on it!). I just want to learn the Argentine Tango and Jive from a professional ballroom dance. Is that too much to ask? I don't think so.

Annnnnnnnnnyway, dancing is one of the things I love most in life. My maternal grandparents were wonderful dancers, and my mom and I have won a few wedding dance polka contests in our day (okay, I suppose it doesn't really count as a "contest" if you are only competing against the other couples in your head. Whatevs. We totally won). We always had music on in our house growing up, and dance parties were an everyday occurrence (kitchen dance parties are my favorite!). And surprise surprise, I really enjoy dance movies.

Here are my favorite dance-themed movies (please note: I love these movies for the dancing, not necessarily the plots. Trust me, I judge me too). 

1. Dirty Dancing
2. Singin' in the Rain
3. Footloose
4. Three Little Words
5. Honey
6. Newsies
7. Hairspray
8. Billy Elliot
9. Step Up
10. Mao's Last Dancer
11. Strictly Ballroom
12. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
13. Chicago
14. Center Stage
15. Flashdance

Other Notable movies/scenes
-White Christmas - whenever Vera Ellen dances
-Tango scene from Scent of a Woman
-Fred Astaire's 4th of July dance in Holiday Inn

Here are a few fun videos.This little gem is a lovely medley of many a fine dance flick. Props to whoever created this on a mighty fine editing job!


Dear Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor, you are too fabulous for words. Moses Supposes from Singin' in the Rain is one of my all time faves. 


Argentine Tango....be still my heart


This one just makes me happy :)


Freestyle by Derek Hough and Kellie Pickler. This was one of my favorite dances I have EVER seen on DWTS


And last but certainly not least, the dance scene from Beauty and the Beast. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow....we are so related! Love ya, M in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! The love of dancing definitely runs in the Martin genes!!! Love you too :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I needed this today :) I LOVE that Kellie and Derek dance, it always "gets me"...and to end with Beauty and the Beast...sigh....
    tsparbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dancing in my car when I'm stuck in traffic. I'm a horrible dancer, but there's something about waving your arms around like a crazy girl and singing at the top of your lungs (however off-key!) that makes rush hour so much more tolerable. And the jealous looks you get from the other drivers because you're having fun and they're not? Priceless! (Jealous, right? Those are jealous looks and not "I hope the crazy wagon can weave it's way through all the cars for this one" looks? Right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Car dancing is one of my favorites too. And I get those same looks when I chair dance at work...they are TOTALLY jealous ;)

      Delete