Monday, September 9, 2013

Here's Another Nice Mess You've Gotten Me Into

Laurel & Hardy
Oh comedy, my old friend. There are many different types of comedy (I googled it - TWENTY different kinds!), but I'm going to focus on physical comedy, or as it is more commonly known, slapstick. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say not many of my peers spent time watching Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, and Lucille Ball growing up. I kind of love that - I feel like I was let in on a really good secret that not many were privy to. Also, I'm an old soul...and a super nerd :)

Slapstick is not exactly a "subtle" art form. It's more of a punch-you-in-the-face kind of humor that certainly doesn't appeal to everyone. For me, the finesse, level of commitment, and the mastery of execution is what makes physical comedy so fascinating. I can only imagine the HOURS of practice is must take to perfect a scene or a gag so it comes across to the audience as completely effortless. From Charlie Chaplin, the Three Stooges, and Dick Van Dyke, to Mel Brooks, Jim Carey, and Chevy Chase, the genre has grown and prospered throughout the ages.
Lucille Ball & Harpo Marx

We had many VHS tapes of Laurel and Hardy, and no matter how many times I watched their antics, it never stopped being funny. From Stan Laurel's quippy one-liners, to Oliver Hardy's facial expressions, they were true artists of their craft. I also remember watching Abbott & Costello's "Who's on First" for the first time. I was staying with my grandparents and sat on the couch, mouth wide open, as I took in the snappy dialogue. 

And then there's Lucy. She has been a HUGE influence on my life. Because I could write novels about my adoration, I'll try (although it pains me!) to stick to the point. She is, without a doubt, one of the most accomplished and talented physical comedians. Ever. Her impeccable timing, improvisation skills, and willingness to do what she had to do for a laugh make her a gem in the comedy world. She was also a perfectionist and would rehearse a scene until she knew it would be flawless. I have seen every episode of I Love Lucy a couple numerous times (and own the entire collection...yep, I'm a little obsessed!). Every viewing shows me something new - the small gesture or facial expression that makes an entire scene; the witty play on words that sends me into fits of giggles; the chemistry of a cast that was meant to perform together. I truly do love Lucy.

Here are a few classic physical comedy routines. Enjoy!

I Love Lucy - Slowly I Turn


Laurel & Hardy - Cleaning Dance


Abbott & Costello - Who's on First


I Love Lucy - Lucy/Harpo "Mirror" scene


Dick Van Dyke and Henry Calvin (as Laurel and Hardy)


4 comments:

  1. I always forget my favorite part of I Love Lucy is hearing Desi laughing in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When are you coming to visit and bringing lots of movies? We only get 6 TV channels (and only one of them is any good) so I'm starved for entertainment around here! Save me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get instant Netflix if you don't have it already. Lots of good movie and TV shows for a very reasonable price!! :)

      Delete