Sunday, September 22, 2013

It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

I don't care what the song says, FALL is the most wonderful time of the year. I'm sitting outside on my deck, with a "merry little breeze" (dadism) keeping me company. The temperature is perfect, the sun is shining bright, the neighborhood turkeys are running amuck, and my heart is happy (I could do without the turkeys, but as long as I'm up here and they are down there, we're fairly copacetic). 

Even if you weren't among the throng of those going back to school, September still marks some significant life changes. You slowly transition your wardrobe t-shirts to sweatshirts; you find yourself inexplicably finding ways to make pumpkin a staple in your diet; you're forced to put your book down and go inside by 7 p.m. when it starts getting dark (which is probably okay because fall TV has started and if you get behind from the get-go, there's really no coming back from that); and after playing hard all summer long, you are craving some much-needed down time. My down time often includes the quest for "new " (new to me, haven't listened to in a while, just came out....you get the gist) music. Here's my current fall playlist. 

The marriage of folk and rock is my new favorite thing. The lyrics often pack an emotional punch, and I'm digging the harmonies and connection I feel to these tunes. Here are a few bands to check out:
-Mumford and Sons
-Trampled by Turtles (Minnesota band!)
-The Avett Brothers
-John Mayer (focus on his new stuff - it's surprising and kind of awesome!)
-Nickel Creek
-Clare Bowen and Sam Palladio (from the show Nashville, but don't dismiss if you don't necessarily like country (which I don't) - they are UBER talented and their music is far more bluesy/folk than country).
-The Civil Wars
-The Lone Bellow
-Elephant Revival (more along the bluegrass lines)
-The Head and the Heart







Here are a few artists that I pretty much love everything they have done/will ever do:
-Sara Bareilles 
-Delta Rae 
-Amos Lee 
-Matt Wertz
-She & Him







And lastly, here are a few oldies but goodies:
-Sam Cooke
-James Taylor
-Bonnie Raitt
-Carole King
-Louis Armstrong
-Van Morrison
-Fleetwood Mac
-Journey (greatest hits album is the best)









p.s. Because you stuck through the randomness with me, here's a recipe for the best damn pumpkin chocolate chip muffins you will ever have. So thanks...and you're welcome :)

Pumpkin Chip Muffins:
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 can pumpkin (16 oz.)
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 heaping tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and oil until smooth. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; add to pumpkin mixture a little at a time and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups ¾ full. Bake at 400 degrees for 16-20 minutes-longer if using big muffin pan. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm really liking ZZ Ward lately her music has some great lyrics and fun beats!

    ReplyDelete