Games were a big part of my childhood. My parents, sister, and I had regular family game night, and both sides of the family enjoy a little friendly (civil) competition. Sara and I often had friends over for game night in high school, and that tradition has carried over into adulthood.
Johnson Family Game Favorites:
Smart Ass. This is one of our new favorites. It's kind of like trivial pursuit, but more fun (and easier). You can play as an individual or in teams. As I mentioned, we like to play boys vs. girls. You have to modify the rules a little to make this work, but it's kind of fun to switch it up.
Yahtzee Turbo (or regularYahtzee). I love anything Yahtzee related, but the turbo version is especially fun. I played Yahtzee on Christmas Eve with my dad, sister, and brother-in-law. Between the 3 of them, they had SEVEN yahtzees (and my sister had 4 of the 7). I had no yahtzees, but I took my spectacular loss with grace and dignity...
Rummy Royal was a favorite of my Grandma Johnson. She passed away before I was born, but I like to think her legacy lives on when we play some of her favorite games. This is a good one to play with a big group of people. Start saving your pennies now!
Password is definitely a favorite of mine. My sister and I are a force to be reckoned with when we team up on this game (sister telepathy, baby!). If you haven't tried this one, I highly recommend it. It's a good brain workout and I like the creativity involved.
Dominos (Mexican Train in particular). My parents learned about this game from some of their friends, and we have become big fans. There is a lot of strategy involved, and it's incredibly satisfying to watch the big chain of dominos progress (especially if you're winning!).
Phase 10 Dice. There is also a card game, but I only played that once and found it irritating. I will admit, there is a LOT of math involved with this game, but I still endorse it (which should tell you that it's pretty awesome).
Go to the Head of the Class. Brain-teasing fun for the whole family. I got this game when I was probably 8 or so, and it has remained a regular in our game rotation through the years.
Whist. The Martin side of the family is riddled with card players. Golf, Oh Hell, and Kings in the Corner are some classic favorites, but Whist is my newest obsession. I haven't quite figured out all the nuances of the game, but I really enjoy playing and improving.
I'm guessing most people do not spend the holidays trash talking family members while you compete for a year's worth of glory...but in case your family is as weird as mine, I think you'll get quite a kick out of these games!









No comments:
Post a Comment