Monday, December 2, 2013

Beyond the Sea

Growing up, my family listened to the local oldies station on the radio. I never thought it was weird, nor did I ever fight to change the station. As I got older, I branched out and started listening to the music of my generation (I'm such an old lady!), but classic oldies have always had a place in my heart.

One voice that stuck out to me was Bobby Darin's. Not only was he totally adorable, but he was one of the most versatile singers of that era (he wrote and performed across multiple genres, including jazz, pop, rock n' roll, folk, and country music). I remember dancing around my grandpa's living room to Bobby singing Dream Lover  on the record player as a kid. Even then, I knew he was something special.

Bobby had far too short of a career, dying at age 37. Though I wonder what kind of career he would have had if he had lived longer, he certainly left the world with some amazing music. He was such an incredible and charismatic performer. I hope you enjoy these tunes as much as I do!


If I had been a teenage girl at this time, my walls would have been plastered with Bobby Darin posters. Just sayin'. 


This is one of my favorite songs, so I'm pretty particular about it. Bobby knocks it right out of the park!


The mustache? Awful. The duet? Brilliant.


A classic Bobby Darin song


Judy Garland has always been one of my favorites. Put these two together, and it's quite life changing. You're welcome. 

And because these songs must have wet your appetite for more, here are few bonus tracks :)

A Nightingale Sang in Barkley Square
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKvu-8Ac0x0

Splish Splash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMCsc4Iqvqc

Mack the Knife:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiGFZUnJgqU

I'm Beginning to See the Light:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7wtmYGQNKU

Swing Low/Lonesome Road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK5LZK5hsIg

No comments:

Post a Comment