2014 has arrived with some nice, balmy weather. Fun fact: it was -21 degrees this morning and will (supposedly) reach 34 degrees (above zero) by Friday. That's a 55 degree jump in temperature in 5 days. Welcome to Minnesota.
I have been hibernating and cooking quite a bit in the past week. In the spirit of continuing the Dinner and a Movie Monday series I started (and then promptly forgot about), I bring you the long-awaited Part II.
Movie: French Kiss (1995) starring Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline
Dinner: Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
French Kiss is one of those movies you either love or hate. I love it. It's funny, Kevin Kline is totally adorable, and Meg Ryan's character is perfectly neurotic and amazing (sidenote: am I the only one who misses Meg Ryan's time on the throne as the 90's rom-com queen?? Probably).
Favorite Scene:
Kate: You know, all men are bastards.
Luc: Well, not all. I mean, some are just trying to help.
Kate: You know, I never thought I'd be the kind of woman to say this, but it's true. All men are bastards.
Luc: The guy who was talking to you, he was...
Kate: A bastard. A Eurotrash-in-Armani kind of bastard.
Luc: He was wearing a black suit: With a yellow shirt?
Kate: Yeah.
[Luc groans, then pulls Kate up from the sofa]
Kate: You know him?
Luc: Come on.
Kate: Of course you know him. All you bastards know each other.
[Luc pulls Kate toward the hotel exit]
Kate: [to the concierge] Bastard!
I wish I could find a video of this scene. The comedic timing and delivery are spot on.
Favorite Quote(s):
Kate: "Happy - smile. Sad - frown. Use the corresponding face with the corresponding emotion."
Luc: "For me, bullshit is like breathing."
Kate: "Fester, fester, fester. Rot, rot, rot."
Kate: [to Luc] You'll become one of those hunchbacked, lonely old men, sitting in the corner of a crowded cafe, mumbling to yourself, "My ass is twitching. You people make my ass twitch."
Annnnnnnnnnnd on to dinner. A French-themed movie and a potato casserole don't necessarily belong together, but whatevs. This is super yummy and you will thank me later :)
Ingredients:
-4 russet potatoes, cubed
-4 chicken breasts, cubed
-1 cup bacon, crumbled (I left this out because I don't like bacon. I know, I'm the ONLY PERSON ON THE PLANET who doesn't like bacon. Feel free to judge - everyone else does).
-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
-4 green onions, sliced
-1/3 cup heavy cream
-2 Tbsp butter, melted
-salt and pepper
*I also added some minced garlic, because I believe garlic makes all things better
Instructions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Combine potatoes, bacon, chicken, and cheese in 9x13 baking dish
-Pour heavy cream and butter over casserole. Season with salt and pepper.
-Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 55 minutes.
-Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes.
-Top with green onions (I just baked mine right in from the get go, and it worked just fine)
My favorite EVER!! Was there a recipe?? I didn't even notice.... too busy reliving the quotes. I NEED to find this on DVD....I only have it on VHS!
ReplyDeleteRight?! I do own it on DVD (thank goodness), and it seriously took all my willpower not to add 20 more quotes. I'll bring it with me next time I head north. We should have a viewing date (and recite the entire movie aloud, obviously) ;)
DeleteBacon is fine. But I don't think every recipe needs bacon. You are correct, almost everything is better with minced garlic, yum!
ReplyDeleteI made this with Yukon Gold potatoes once and with red potatoes - because then I didn't have to peel them. Very good!
ReplyDeleteThat and I don't like Russets. I'm that person ;-)
DeleteHa! Good idea to use red potatoes - YUM!. And I like the skin of russets so didn't even bother peeling. I'm THAT person! ;)
DeleteOne of my favorite movies ever...I laugh through the whole thing and I mean the whole thing. Will have to try the potatoe casserole as we are definitely potato eaters (Irish Randy German Marti).
ReplyDeleteKeep on blogging.................M in Tucson