Saturday, January 11, 2014

There is No Friend as Loyal as a Book

My mom was the school district's elementary librarian, so it's fairly unsurprising I love to read. Lesser known fact, I also love being read to. I regularly cajole my mom and dad into reading aloud when I'm up north, and enjoy sitting in on story time with the nieces when visiting my sister's house. My dad read to me before bedtime when I was a kid, and I could usually sweet talk him into reading more than he intended. It truly was not a stall tactic to push back bedtime; I just couldn't stand not knowing what was going to happen in our book. I was often busted for reading after being "put to bed" for the night. Not to be outdone, a plan was hatched. During an elementary school fundraiser, I committed myself to selling enough items to win a flashlight. I hid the flashlight under my pillow, willingly went to bed on time, and then promptly pulled my book out and read under the covers. I got away with it for awhile, but my folks got wise to me after a few weeks (I think the willingness to go to bed tipped them off). My flashlight was confiscated because I "couldn't be trusted." Humph. 

In high school, we had a daily 20 minute SSR (sustained silent reading) period to encourage kids to read. Most of my peers did homework or slept their way through this time, but it was my FAVORITE time of day. When I became enthralled with a book, I would sneak read under my desk during other classes (teachers frown on that, by the way). Apparently my parents were right - I really could not be trusted to be responsible when a good book was involved!

I prepared to leave for college by packing up all my books to bring along. My mom told me that I would be living in a tiny space and could not take my books with me. She also told me I would be far too busy with my studies to read for pleasure. I pouted, packed only the books I "couldn't live without", and had a sad little bookshelf in my dorm room. Well, that was simply not acceptable. I sneaked a stash of books back to school after every trip home. I also could not stand only reading textbooks (laaaaaaaame), so stayed up too late most nights reading what I wanted to read (at least I did my homework first. See, totally responsible...). When I was collected at the end of the school year, there were some disapproving looks and eye rolls at the giant stack of books that had been covertly smuggled in. I believe this marked the point my family finally gave up hope of me ever having literary self-control (frankly, I'm surprised it took them 19 years to get to that point..slow learners!). 

Besides divulging the fact that I was a brilliant sneaky kid, I really do have a reason for sharing these stories. I would not be who I am without books. My books are truly some of my most treasured friends. They have always been there to cheer me up after a bad day, bring wisdom and comfort when life is messy, take me on adventures to faraway lands, challenge my views, teach me lessons, make me cry, make me laugh, and give me hope. Books never judge, talk back, or dislike me, even when I'm at my worst. They are simply there to offer up friendship when it is needed. 


We are firmly entrenched in the season now, but I still have a couple months to work through my winter reading list. 


1. A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
2. The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver (I know, I know - I really promise to commit this time!)
3. Bel Canto, Ann Patchett
4. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
5. I Am Malala, Malala Yousafzai
6. I Can Barely Take Care of Myself: Tales From a Happy Life Without Kids, Jen Kirkman
7. The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt
8. The Cuckoo's Calling, Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling)
9. Divergent, Veronica Roth
10. Wild, Cheryl Strayed 

Happy reading, bookworms!

2 comments:

  1. I am Malala = very good!! Loved it!
    The Book Thief = can't wait to read it. On my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my Christmas wish list is always a large gift card to Barnes and Noble. I never have enough time to be in this book store. I always start n the kids section to see if there is some new book that the kids in my life must have or a classic that I loved that I'm sure they need.....then I spend another 2-3 hours looking for me. Some people call Costco the $100 club because they can't get out under $100 but for me it is a book store. I also can't give them up once I have them so our second bedroom is stuffed to the rafters as Randy has the same literary habits as me. Keep reading and blogging! Love from Tucson, M

    ReplyDelete