Thursday, May 22, 2014

Men in Tights


While I love heroes with superhuman strength/powers/hammers (this one is a lie - Thor is a bozo), sometimes I appreciate a more "normal" hero to cheer for. One of my favorite victors is Robin Hood. I'm pretty sure most of my admiration stems from Robin's bow and arrow skills, which are badass (I shot my friend Courtney's bow last summer and it made me feel ridiculously cool).  I also love that he's an outlaw on the side of good (because antiheroes are way more fun to cheer for than clean cut heroes. Obviously). And I live on Sherwood Road, so I clearly need to represent the hero of my 'hood.

I started thinking about all the classic Robin Hood movies, and decided to make a  guide for you, dear readers. I tried to pick a favorite Robin Hood, but they are all so different, it's hard to compare. I will say that Robin Hood: Men in Tights is one of my favorite movies. Ever. However, I'm not sure that means I'm willing to commit to Cary Elwes as my favorite Robin. I think I will just choose to love them all!

My neighborhood is the coolest
Seriously, I LOVED this!

The Adventures of Robin Hood  (1938)
Favorite Quote:
Lady Marian: Why, you speak treason!
Robin Hood: Fluently.


Disney's Robin Hood (1973)
Favorite Quote:
Friar Tuck: Oh, for heaven's sake, son. You're no outlaw. Why, someday, you'll be called a great hero.
Robin Hood: A hero? Did you hear that, Johnny? We've just been pardoned!
Little John: Oh, that's a gas. We ain't even been arrested yet.


Robin Hood: Price of Thieves (1991)
Favorite Quote:
Sheriff of Nottingham: Wait a minute. Robin Hood steals money from my pocket, forcing me to hurt the public, and they love him for it?
[Scribe nods]
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.


Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)
Favorite Quote:
Rabbi Tuckman: Wait a minute! There's things here! There's rocks, there's trees, there's birds, there's squirrels. Come on, we'll bless them all until we get vashnigyered.


For my fellow nerds, here is a little Robin Hood film "history" lesson


I have not yet seen the Russel Crowe verision (admission: he's not my favorite actor), but hope to get around to it at some point. In doing my research, I also discovered a BBC Robin Hood television show. I'm absurdly excited about it and have already added to my instant Neflix queue. Stay tuned for the verdict, but seriously, it looks amazing.

3 comments:

  1. Leave Thor alone, you big bully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh he is absolutely brilliant as the sheriff of nottingham!!!!!

    ReplyDelete