Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Keep Breathing

Life has been a bit hectic lately. Work is obscenely busy, which makes the day go by fast, but also makes my head hurt. I've been doing a lot of work with the accounting and finance departments, which should terrify you if you've ever witnessed my attempts at basic math. Anyway, I told my boss today that my eyes were bleeding from staring at numbers for the last three days. He calmly (and totally deadpan) replied, "Well, at least you're not dramatic about it." I'm glad we appreciate each other's humor (and theatrics). Then there's the fact that the Minnesota Wild is playing some pretty great championship hockey. While I love watching the games, it's doing a number on bedtime (and my blood pressure). I also realized today that my weekends are booked through late June. I'm thrilled about all the fun I'm going to have. I also really want to take a nap. 

To get me through the day, I've been listening to a lot of music. This time of year, I usually rock a perky summer playlist, but lately I've been digging the soulful, sorrowful, acoustic tunes. I just reread this and it makes it sound like I should haul my ass off to therapy. But the truth is, I like music like I like people - real, a bit rough around the edges, and with something meaningful to say. Plus, I started off my college career in music therapy, so I'm clearly qualified to self- [music] medicate ;)

This playlist may not be "dancey" but hopefully you'll find something that speaks to you. Also, don't judge my mental health based off of it, mmmkay?

Stay With Me - Sam Smith
I am IN LOVE with Sam's voice. Boy does got himself some soul!

Next to Me - Emeli Sande
This is a little dancey. Every time this song comes on, it makes me happy.

Keep Breathing - Ingrid Michaelson
Sometimes, I'm pretty sure Ingrid is singing right. to. me. 

Cup of Sorrow - Amos Lee
Amos can do no wrong. That's all.

I Can't Make You Love Me - Josh Kaufman
Josh is my favorite contestant on The Voice. As a TV recapper so eloquently stated, "When Josh sings, it transcends space and time." I completely agree. He's ridiculously talented and I hope big things come along for him.

Fare Thee Well - Oscar Issac 
Inside Lleweyn Davis was a decent enough movie, but the music was incredible. Every time Oscar Issac opened his mouth, I died a happy death. If you haven't, check out the soundtrack. SO great!

I Ain't Got Nothin' But the Blues - Ella Fitzgerald
This girl. This song. L-O-V-E

Home Again - Ron Pope
This came up on my Pandora one day. Had never heard of Ron Pope, but the song stayed with me.

Been a Long Day - Rosi Golan
Her voice is such a great blend of sorrowful and hopeful.  

Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman
Tracy Chapman makes me feel sassy. 

Another Story - The Head and the Heart
One of my current favorite groups. I love their harmonies and their ability to tell a story through music. 

Black Roses - Clare Bowen
This song is dark, raw, and hauntingly gorgeous.

Steamroller - Haley Reinhart and Casey Abrams
These two - when they sing the blues, I am ALL IN!

The Dock of the Bay Billy Valentine & the Forest Rangers
The vibe of this song is great. It's no Otis Redding, but it's different enough from the original that I don't feel the need to compare. 

I Know Where I've Been - Queen Latifah (Hairspray)
Because Queen Latifah truly is the QUEEN on this one. 

Happy Wednesday and GO WILD!

No comments:

Post a Comment