Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Bust a Move

I have watched Dancing with the Stars since the beginning. I had to take a season off here or there when life got in the way (or I got cranky), but overall, I have been a loyal(ish) fan of the show. My sister, sister-in-law, mom, and I all watch, and the beginning of the week is often filled with texts, emails, and calls about the performances. It's nearing the end of the 17th season of the show, and the finale includes the Freestyle round (no rules and all bets are off). It doesn't really fit in with the whole "ballroom" theme, but often makes or breaks a couple's chance of winning. I was reading Entertainment Weekly and found an article showcasing some of the best freestyles from all 17 seasons. Not to be outdone by EW, I decided to make my own list (in no particular order). Missing from the list is my favorite freestyle (Derek Hough and Kellie Pickler), which was featured in the Dancing Queen post. 

1. Kyle Massey and Lacey Schimmwer. I was a huge fan of Kyle's, and though they came in second (BOO!) that season, they killed their freestyle.
(Start at 1:45 to see the freestyle)

2. Shawn Johnson and Derek Hough. I rooted for Shawn both times she was on the show (regular and all-star seasons), and this freestyle showcased Shawn's tremendous talent.
(Start at 1:25)

3. Donald Driver and Peta Murgatroyd. I can't really remember much about this season (there have just been so many), but I do remember this dance. 'Cause it was awesome. 
(Start at 1:30)

4. Donny Osmond and Kym Johnson. Donny certainly wasn't the strongest contestant of season 9, but loved him with that rockstar Kym Johnson. It was the perfect routine for the two of them.
(Start at 1:30)

5. Apolo Anton Ohno and Julianne Hough. They really did bust a move. 

6. Jack Osbourne and Cheryl Burke. Jack has been my favorite of this season since the beginning. I have been so impressed with his improvement and so admire the strength of his character and heart.

7. Amber Riley and Derek Hough. Girl is WORKING it. Amazing routine!


8. *Honorable mention. This isn't a freestyle, but I'm still incredibly bitter Mel didn't win (her freestyle wasn't great...I blame Maks). But this dance was ah-mazing. 

1 comment:

  1. Also a fan of DWTS, I agree that I was also hoping Jack would end up with the mirror ball. I have to say that I am one of the rednecks that kept Bill Engvall in there...he was just so darn cute. Originally I was a Bill Nye guy but I was a devoted fan to his show so it figures. Amber definitely danced her heart out and I'm glad she won over Corbin because she was dancing with an injury and still got it done. M in Tucson

    ReplyDelete