Monday, March 31, 2014

Take Me Out to the Ballgame!

It's spring. And spring brings many wonderful things to MN - green grass, thunderstorms, warmer temperatures, and of course, baseball season! I grew up in a baseball loving household; my dad and sister are definitely super-fans. I have sports ADD, so my love needs to be earned!

The weather has been a bit finicky during most of my visits to Target Field. My dad, cousins Mike and Olivia, and I attended a weekend series a few years ago. It misted, the temp was around 40 degrees, and the Twins lost every game. We snuggled under blankets, drank beer (just to warm ourselves up), and had the BEST time together. 


Liv and I at Target Field

For Father's Day a couple years ago, Sara, Mike, Fiona, and I took my dad to a game. It was supposed to be 80 and sunny (because, you know, June). I wore flip flops, shorts, and short sleeve shirt. Let's just say the forecasters completely missed the mark. Everyone fought over Fiona (to steal her body heat), and Sara's family took off after the 5th inning. Our seats were up pretty high, and it was windy and chilly. My dad said we could leave at the end of the 7th inning if the Twins didn't tie it up or go ahead. We were down by a few runs so I assumed I'd be safe. False - they tied it up. Then the rain began. And by rain, I mean a freaking downpour. A rain delay was called, and my dad took one look at my horrified face (and crazy eyes - I had contemplated tackling a woman to steal her blanket moments earlier), and we left. We stopped to get some dinner, dad dropped me off at my apartment, and as he started for home, the game was JUST resuming. I think we made the right call in bailing when we did!


Stealing poor Fiona's body heat!

The weather issues just provide fuel for great stories. I mean really. Who wants to go to a game when it's perfect outside? (ME! PICK ME!) I look forward to many baseball adventures in the months to come.



In honor of our dear Twins and the beginning of (please dear lord) a great season, here are some of my favorite baseball-themed movies.

7. 42
9. Damn Yankees
10. Trouble with the Curve

And because I felt my baseball education needed a second-look (there are a LOT of baseball movies out there!), here are the movies I've added to my Neflix list:

1. Pride of the Yankees
2. Bad News Bears
3. The Stratton Story
4. Eight Men Out
5. Million Dollar Arm (to be released in May 2014)





2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have a league of their own right where it belongs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a Saints game I went to a few years ago...we still have the blanket we purchased as a memento!

    ReplyDelete