I'm not much of a country music fan, but there is one Dixie Chicks song that resonates with me. My favorite part of the song is as follows:
Well, I never seem to do it like anybody else
Maybe someday, someday I'm gonna settle down
If you ever want to find me I can still be found
Taking the long way
Taking the long way around
Taking the long way
Taking the long way around
Given Option A or Option B, I almost always choose the hardest, most frustrating option. I don't do it on purpose; I think that's just how my brain works (much to the consternation of my loved ones - particularly my poor brother-in-law, who is always patient with me...even when he wants to ring my neck). Normal people would probably try to fight this instinct to help make life easier. I've never done well with normal.
I own my quirks, but I can certainly strive to apply logic in a more meaningful way (I know you are all nodding vigorously right now). I can use a GPS when driving instead of printing out directions and trying to follow them using the flashlight app on my phone because it's dark outside; I can look at the weather before I decide to drive a long distance instead of getting caught unawares in a monsoon; I can get groceries more regularly instead of waiting until all that is left in my refrigerator is wine and butter; I can wear socks when it's snowing and 20 degrees outside instead of going sockless because it's spring, dammit, and I'm sticking it to Mother Nature (note to self: Mother Nature ALWAYS wins!).
Taking the long way through life has definitely been frustrating at times. It has also been character building, and in some ways, very rewarding. I have been thinking a lot lately about my future and the questions that come with it. Where do I want my career to go? Should I buy a car that doesn't resemble a bus? Is it possible for a single girl to hire someone to buy her groceries without being mocked for it? Now that both Siskel and Ebert are gone (RIP), is it my time to break into the movie critic's elite circle? Will I ever own a camera that doesn't die a painful death (my last one survived drowning in a river, but not being run over by a car)? I know I have a lot left to figure out, but I've reached a place of acceptance. I'll get there - in my own time and in my own way.
Are you thinking about a new car because both your nieces called your car a bus? ;-) And no, based on past tendencies, you will not own a camera that won't die painfully.
ReplyDeleteWe love you. And your ways! Because they are what make you awesome.
That's why we love you! I miss you friend!
ReplyDeleteMy life's motto has always been to do it my way because I found that doing someone else's way sucks! Keep on keeping on Ms. Em...your uniqueness gives me hope that the world won't end up being a bunch of sheep as you will influence others from your strength of character!
ReplyDeleteLove ya! From Tucson another lover of the road less taken...M